Premier Dominic Perrottet says that schools will go back as scheduled no matter what and that the state’s healthcare system is adequately resourced to withstand a potential spike in COVID-19 cases from the beginning of the term.
“Getting the kids back in school safely is a key priority for this government,” Mr Perrottet said on Saturday morning.
“There is no doubt there are going to be challenges as we open schools. The alternative is to keep schools closed, that’s not what we are doing. All states and territories … are completely focused on understanding [the] importance [for children].”
Mr Perrottet said the government had been working for three weeks on a plan for the start of term that should “instil confidence in parents and teachers that we’ll be able to open classes in a safe environment for everyone.”
NSW Health Deputy Secretary Susan Pearce told parents to “keep looking” for a vaccine before school’s return.
“The clear message is to keep looking, just keep looking. There should be an appointment,” she said.
Schools will not be part of the COVID-19 vaccine rollout, she said, because COVID-19 vaccines are difficult to handle.
It comes as the state records 20,148 COVID-190 cases and 30 deaths. Of the new cases, 8,566 were self-reported from at-home tests and 11,582 were from PCR testing.