News

Byron Bay Twin girls dead after fire near Byron possibly started by candle


Twin girls have died after a house fire, near Byron Bay in NSW, with the blaze believed to have been started by a candle on top of a piano.

Emergency services were called to the single-storey property in Goonengarry, shortly after 4am, amid reports two children were suffering from smoke inhalation.

Police officers and paramedics performed CPR on both children, but the four-year-old girls were unable to be revived.

Twin girls have died in a house fire near Byron Bay.
Twin girls have died in a house fire near Byron Bay. (Nine)

Supt Dave Roptell from NSW Police described the deaths as “really sad.”

He said the arson squad are helping with investigations.

“It’s unbelievably devastating. It’s just a tragic set of circumstances,” he said.

“There are still a number of inquiries to make as to the exact cause.

Goonengerry is a small hamlet west of Byron Bay. (Nine)

“The police and the emergency service that were there did an exceptional job in getting in and doing their best to attempt to try and save those two poor young people’s lives.”

He was unable to say who discovered the fire, or if the house had smoke alarms, but confirmed there was a gathering going on close by to the home.

The piano was in the room where the girls were asleep, he said.

A woman is also being treated for shock.

The building is part of a multiple-occupancy community, about 30km west of Byron Bay.

Anyone who has any information about the fire has been asked to contact Crime Stoppers.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *