BERRYVILLE — Locke’s Mill will take part this weekend in a global effort to achieve point out within the Guinness World Records.
The working Colonial-era grist mill in Clarke County is a member of the Netherlands-based Guild of Volunteer Millers. From 5-6 a.m. Saturday, the mill and roughly 800 comparable sights worldwide will deliver as lots of the guild’s roughly 2,600 particular person members collectively as doable to function mills at a single time.
Chris Damewood, supervisor of Locke’s Mill, mentioned the purpose is to realize a file to be revealed within the world-famous information ebook, which at present does not have such an entry.
It might take a couple of attempt to set that file, Damewood admitted. He mentioned Guinness might need to ship a consultant to a future occasion to watch it and formally certify a file. However, if Saturday morning’s try does not work out, it ought to at the least achieve Guinness’ consideration, he added.
The occasion is scheduled to start out at 11 a.m. Central European Time, which is six hours forward of Eastern Standard Time, the zone that Virginia is in.
Four licensed millers at Locke’s Mill will take part in Saturday’s occasion, Damewood mentioned.
Although it is going to begin earlier than daybreak, “if anybody from the public wants to be there, we’d love for them to come out” to indicate assist for the millers, he mentioned.
The guild has proclaimed 2022 because the Year of the Miller. The observance is a part of the guild’s efforts to advertise consciousness of milling and encourage folks to coach and change into licensed as millers, based on Damewood.
“We’re always looking for volunteers” at Locke’s Mill, he mentioned.
The mill, at 1555 Locke’s Mill Road southeast of Berryville, close to the Shenandoah River, is on each the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register.
Having lately begun its working season, Locke’s Mill is open to the general public from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. each different Saturday. Following its early-morning ceremonial run for this coming Saturday’s try at setting a file, the mill will shut down for 5 hours earlier than reopening for enterprise on “Open Mill Day.”
Visitors will have the ability to see a brand new line shaft put in on the mill. The shaft permits a number of items of equipment to function on the identical time, Damewood mentioned.
Two mills existed on the web site as early as 1777, historic information present. One was used to grind oats and corn, the opposite was for oats and wheat. One of the mills now not exists, however proof of it stays.
In 1876, Joseph and Mary Price rebuilt one of many mills — which turned generally known as Price’s Mill — and operated it till 1899, when J.H. and Roberta Wilson took over the possession till 1907. That yr, Thomas H. and Rosa V. Locke took over the mill and owned it till the mid-Nineteen Forties. They additionally ran a basic retailer and put up workplace on the property. But the mill stop working sooner or later within the late Nineteen Thirties or early Nineteen Forties after the wood waterwheel was broken in a flood, then misplaced throughout one other flood.
Various folks owned the mill after that. In 1992, Jon and Carol Sigler Joyce purchased the mill and spent about 20 years restoring it. The mill started grinding grains once more in 2015.
In 2016, the Joyces bought the mill to businesswoman Sandy Lerner of Upperville, however they continued to function Locke’s Mill Grains there, milling rye, wheat, corn, barley and spelt for native distilleries and eating places and the general public.
The mill was licensed natural in 2017.
Flours and meals floor there now can be found on the market on-site, in addition to on-line at gentleharvest.com.