Regional musicians are coming to the Blue Ridge Parkway for intimate Sunday afternoon concert events from June via September in Virginia and North Carolina.
Performers embody The McKenzies, Twin Creeks Stringband, The Bouncers, Big Ron Hunter, Ashlee Watkins & Andrew Small, Harmony Hill, Beverly Street String Band, His and Hers, Root 2 Music, Eric + Addie, Uncle Henry’s Favorites, and extra.
The periods will happen at Humpback Rocks, Peaks of Otter, Roanoke Mountain Picnic Area, Mabry Mill, and Doughton Park.
The first session is June 5 from 1 to three p.m. on the Peaks of Otter at milepost 86 in Bedford.
Additional concert events are supplied at specified areas on the next dates:
- Humpback Rocks, milepost 5.8 (close to Visitor Center & Picnic Area), Virginia: Third Sunday of the month (June 19, July 17, Aug. 21, Sept. 18)
- Peaks of Otter, milepost 85.6 (close to the Peaks of Otter Lodge), Virginia: First Sunday of the month (June 5, July 3, Aug. 7, Sept. 4)
- Roanoke Mountain Day Picnic Area, milepost 120.4, Virginia: Third Sunday of the month (July 17, Aug. 21, Sept. 18)
- Mabry Mill, milepost 176.1 (within the Old Mill Village), Virginia: Second Sunday of the month (June 12, July 10, Aug. 14, Sept. 11)
- The Bluffs Restaurant, milepost 241 (close to the lodge at Doughton Park), North Carolina: Fourth Sunday of the month (June 26, July 24, August 28, September 25)
Milepost Music is offered by the Blue Ridge Music Center, Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation, and National Park Service.
The Blue Ridge Music Center, situated at milepost 213 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, close to Galax, celebrates the music and musicians of the mountains. The heart is a nationwide park facility alongside the Blue Ridge Parkway and a venue associate of The Crooked Road, Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail and Blue Ridge Music Trails of North Carolina.
For extra info, go to BlueRidgeMusicCenter.org.
Story by Crystal Abbe Graham