Love at First Babka
A Long Island native, former grasp cake decorator and present Carytown bakery proprietor, Claudia Strobing is days away from unveiling her namesake store. Serving babka, rugelach, croissants and Million-dollar Cookies, Claudia’s Bake Shop — which is kosher-dairy licensed — brings the spirit of a New York bakery to Cary Street. (Richmond journal)
Typically, when a bunch of faculty college students get collectively, one might assume a little bit of ruckus might ensue. But on the University of Richmond, a 16-strong squad of budding entrepreneurs not too long ago developed a nut-free granola various as a part of their curriculum. Now, their crunchy, bean-based product, dubbed Absurd Snacks, is gracing retailer cabinets at Good Foods Grocery, Lombardy Market and extra native outlets. (Richmond journal)
What a Fungi
Johnny Cerra can bear in mind precisely he first realized about mushroom farming. It was in 2006, throughout an episode of the present “Dirty Jobs” starring Mike Rowe, and he’s been fascinated with mycelium and fungi ever since. Along together with his spouse, Megan, the duo function Sandia Farms and provide a variety of space eating places with all the pieces from prized oyster mushrooms to arugula. (Richmond journal)
Fresh on the Scene
Norfolk-based Benchtop Brewing has begun pouring pints at its new RVA taproom, with a grand-opening occasion occurring this weekend. Part of the mixed-use improvement The Current — which additionally homes Hatch Local meals corridor — the outpost is positioned at 434 Hull St. P.S.: Hot canines are having a second with their in-house kitchen idea, Silly Thoughts, which will get artistic with franks. (News launch)
The household behind Mom’s Siam, Mom Siam 2, Yaya’s Cookbook, Pik Nik and My Noodle Bar — Sukanya Pala-art and her sons Joe and Sonny Kiatsuranon — have added one other eatery to their rising empire. Described as a mashup of all of the household’s eating places and a tropically outfitted place to catch a sport, MPM Tiki & Sports Bar is now open at 11275 W. Broad St. (News launch)
Gluten-free cupcake followers and lovers of rustic loaves and inventive cake creations, put together to dig in. We not too long ago took a giant chunk out of the Richmond bakery scene in a function that celebrates all of the candy and savory deal with outlets across the area. (Richmond journal)
Peep the freezer part of Walmart for an area favourite the subsequent time you go to. Mini, snack-sized variations of Nightingale Ice Cream Sandwiches, aka Chomp, at the moment are accessible at a whole bunch of shops alongside the East Coast, whereas their OG sammies are stocked at each Fresh Market within the nation. (Richmond journal)
Add some freshness to your backyard celebration with herbs from basil to mint brightening boozy drinks. Make spring cocktails at dwelling with recipes through bartenders at JewFro, Kuba Kuba Dos, Gersi and The Boathouse. (Richmond journal)
Anchovies. Breadcrumbs. Anchovy breadcrumbs. Get artful within the kitchen with a remix on the tinned fish from Second Bottle Wine & Snack Shop proprietor Erin Keene. (Richmond journal)
Richmond Restaurant Week, one of many metropolis’s most anticipated and celebrated edible traditions, makes a comeback April 18-22. This time round, the twenty second annual occasion will return to its roots. Diners can count on three-course prix fixe menus for $35 in any respect taking part eating places, with $5 from every meal benefiting hunger-relief charity Feed More.
Alcoholic drinks to go are sticking round a bit longer. Earlier this week, Gov. Glenn Youngkin prolonged a invoice concerning takeout guidelines for transportable sips till July 2024. (News launch)
Richmond Bakers Against Racism is internet hosting a spring bake sale on Saturday, April 9, at Church Hill’s Pizza Bones. From 11 a.m to 1 p.m., snag some seasonal treats from space dwelling bakers and professionals to learn ReEstablish Richmond, a nonprofit whose objective is to attach refugees and new immigrants to the sources wanted to ascertain roots.
Following weeks of March Madness rounds, Strawberry Street ice cream store Scoop has revealed the winner of its taste event. Be looking out for baklava, together with a dairy-free sticky rice and mango, to seem within the freezer case within the coming months.
Speaking of ice cream, Roanoke-based Blue Cow — additionally with an outpost in Fredericksburg — will quickly add to area’s portfolio of cool purveyors. Owned by a husband-and-wife workforce, the duo plan to open doorways in June at 7017 Three Chopt Road. (Richmond BizSense)
Longoven introduced its second occasion in an ongoing, two-year-long dinner collection to learn Richmond Public Schools. On April 19, Laine Myers of Oro will be part of the Longoven kitchen crew for a family-style meal to learn Fairfield Court Elementary, with tickets on sale now.
VCU held a course honest this week and welcomed a handful of recent lessons to the curriculum, together with one proper up my alley: meals writing. The English 491 providing dives into the methods and strategies of meals writers and storytelling associated to gastronomy and journey. As a Ram alum, I’m jealous this wasn’t round once I was attending college.
- Girl Scout Cookie Desserts: By the Slice, Lark Baking Co. (April 8): The Mechanicsville bakery presents a menu of desserts impressed by Samoas, Thin Mints, Tagalongs and extra.
- Lakay Zaz Pop-up, 2845 Hathaway Road (April 8): The inaugural look from the Haitian- and Caribbean-inspired pop-up
- Ode to Bluegrass, Hardywood Park Craft Brewery West Creek (April 9): A free, all-day musical affair paired with the discharge of Peach Tripel
- Wine Tasting, Pizza Bones (April 9): Dubbed Friend Bar, cease by Saturday night for the popping of bottles from Natural Wines and Plant Wines.
- Richmond Night Market, seventeenth Street Farmers Market (April 9): The month-to-month market returns to Shockoe Bottom.
- Homegrown Mushroom Workshop, Homegrown VA (April 10): Learn tips on how to develop blue oyster mushrooms at dwelling throughout this interactive class.
- Artisan Market, Main Line Brewery (April 10): Shop native distributors in the course of the outside market.
- Oro Pop-up: Bocciolo, Celladora Wines (April 10): An intimate four-course, resos-only eating expertise from the pasta-centric idea
- April Drag Brunch, JewFro (April 10): Bust out the singles for this brunch occasion.
- Spring Fling Sidewalk Sale, Studio Two Three (April 12): Mega sale and grand-reopening occasion that includes $1-$5 bins, drinks, espresso and an look from My Empanada.
- Falafel and Kebabs, Publix Aprons Cooking School (April 12): A hands-on cooking class exploring the Middle Eastern dishes