SEATTLE — The Daily Herald acquired three first place awards final week in a five-state journalism competitors for newspapers, web sites, podcasts and TV and radio stations. The Herald was a runner up in three different classes, together with basic excellence amongst similar-sized newsrooms.
The annual Northwest Excellence in Journalism competitors, sponsored by the Society of Professional Journalists, concerned 2021 content material produced by information organizations in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Alaska.
“I want to thank SPJ for this recognition,” Executive Editor Phillip O’Connor mentioned. “I’m extremely proud of these well-deserving award winners and of the hard work done every day by all of the journalists at The Daily Herald.”
Among these acknowledged:
• Local News Editor Caleb Hutton gained first place within the onerous information characteristic writing class for his story a few Snohomish martial arts coach and highschool wrestling coach with a historical past of home violence.
• Reporter Jake Goldstein-Street acquired a primary place award within the crime and legislation enforcement reporting class for his story about how signing bonuses and discontent prompted a wave of Seattle law enforcement officials to take jobs in Snohomish County.
• Sports Editor Chad Davis and sports activities reporters Zac Hereth and Cameron Van Til gained first within the sports activities characteristic writing class for his or her story analyzing whether or not blowouts in highschool sports activities cross the line.
• Van Til additionally garnered a second place award within the sports activities reporting class for his story a few native man who ran 24 consecutive hours to deliver consideration to psychological well being and suicide prevention.
• Chief Photographer Kevin Clark gained second place within the basic information images class for his picture of a mom grieving on the banks of the Skykomish River at a memorial for her son who’d drowned close by.
• Freelance contributor Julie Titone gained second place within the the well being and science reporting class for her story on how the well being results of wildfire smoke are getting worse.
The awards have been introduced Thursday through Twitter. A full listing will be discovered at https://www.spjwash.org/announcing-spj-nw-excellence-in-journalism-contest-winners/