Her creativity thrives in the kitchen, and she loves recreating beautiful and healthy replacements for some of her favourite dishes that heal instead of hurt.
Below, her recipe for chickpea fries with pea pesto is crunchy and delicious – and offers just as much satisfaction as a regular fast food serving.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FRIES
- 2 + ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 2 + ¾ cup water
- 1,5 cups mixed grated veg (I used carrots and baby marrows with any excess water drained)
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Chili flakes (optional)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PEA PESTO
- 1,5 cups McCain frozen peas, blanched
- ½ cup lemon juice (I like my pesto super lemony but if you aren’t a big fan of lemon reduce to 1/3 cup)
- ½ cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Generous pinch of sea salt or Pink Himalayan salt
- Grease a 20cmx30cm container (a glass Pyrex dish works well) with olive oil. Sift the chickpea flour into a pot, slowly add the water mixing continuously so the batter doesn’t lump together, you want a smooth light batter. Then add the remaining ingredients and combine well.
- Place the pot on a low heat and continuously whisk the mixture while it thickens. It should become a stiff dry mix like polenta or pap. Immediately pour into the greased dish, this needs to be done quickly or the mixture will set. Smooth the surface of the mixture with a spatula and allow to cool. Once cool, refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- To make the pea pesto, combine all the ingredients in a food processor or Nutribullet and pulse. If you prefer a thick chunky pesto don’t over blend and if you want a creamy green sauce then blend for longer.
- Once the chickpea mix has set, remove from the fridge and gently slide out of the container. Slice into desired shapes and place into the Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer. Select Air Fry on high (204C) and cook for 12 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve the fries hot with the pea pesto dipping sauce and enjoy!